Friday, January 04, 2008

heartwarming

There's nothing like a trip to the post office to lift one's spirits.

Not that mine were particularly low. But I guess the combination of the holidays coming to an end, living as a virtual slug this past week -- not to mention the departure of my sister and her progeny this morning -- did leave me a little bit down.

But that was all before my trip to the post office.

Have I ever blogged about how much I love the post office? Maybe not. And maybe now's not the time to start. But I will say that I always feel a great sense of satisfaction after mailing something. In this case it was a couple of packages. I mailed the packages, and thus was already feeling great when I decided to go back up to the counter to purchase some stamps. If there's anything I love more than post offices, it's stamps. I used to collect them, and sometimes get the urge to continue the hobby. I enjoy old-fashioned correspondence, and also appreciate stamps as the tiny works of art that they are. Anyway, I was already in a great mood, and then the kind man behind the counter showed me these:

Needless to say, I was immediately overcome with joy.

They don't seem to commemorate anything or instill national pride, as stamps often are intended to do. But they sure are cute. In fact, I think if someone was to create the cutest stamp imaginable, this is what it would look like. Though, ok, it would probably have a baby seal dressed as a kitten and wearing the pink bunny slippers, but still, the general concept would be the same.

How heartwarming!

1 comment:

The Tilted Tulip said...

Seriously, were we separated at birth? I was just telling someone at work the other day just how much I LOVE the post office and I LOVE mailing things, and I even feel a special comraderie with all the other people in line 'cause we're all mailing things together. Needless to say, my co-worker thinks I'm completely batty, but that's beside the point. Speaking of mail...let's exchange mailing addresses via email someday soon.