Wednesday, June 06, 2007

dolores

I just finished watching Dolores Claiborne on HBO. I wasn't planning to watch the whole thing -- it happened to be starting when I turned on the TV and I had vague memories of liking it when I saw it years ago -- but found the story to be so intense (both in character and plot development) that I couldn't bear to turn it off! And possibly more surprising -- I didn't fall asleep while watching it!

If you've never seen this movie, I highly recommend it. It's good enough that I am planning to locate a copy of the book as soon as possible... and that's coming from someone who's never read anything by Stephen King. It's also one of those movies that should have won numerous Oscars but didn't (in fact, it wasn't even nominated!!). Susan Sarandon took the award for best actress that year (1996) for Dead Man Walking, but it could have easily gone to Kathy Bates. But maybe the academy didn't want to give her another award for a King-based movie, after she'd already won for Misery in 1990. Jennifer Jason Leigh is incredible in this movie too, as are all the members of the supporting cast (i.e. Christopher Plumber, Judy Parfitt, David Strathairn, John C. Reilly!!).

No comments: