Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"you're so beautiful -- you could be a waitress..."

(That's one of my favorite lines from a Flight of the Conchords song. And in case you were wondering, no, I've never been paid such a compliment.)

I've liked FOTC ("the #4 folk parody duo in New Zealand") ever since Mike and Helen first introduced them to me months ago (you may remember some of my previous posts about them...), and was thrilled to hear that they now have their own sitcom on HBO. I don't think they're on HBO in HK yet, which is unfortunate, but one small consolation is that the first episode of their show is available on this website (another thank you to Mike and Helen!). I watched it last night with Amy and Aaron, and not surprisingly, we all laughed a lot. The premise of the show is that Jemaine and Bret have moved to NYC and are trying to make a name for themselves. To work in the songs that FOTC are known for, they do Bollywood-style montages and spontaneously burst into song. I think more shows should do this. Or better yet, I think this should happen in real life. On the show, they also have an obsessed fan, Mel, who seems like an interesting character. I just checked out the FOTC HBO website, and it turns out that Mel has her own fan blog -- sounds promising.

So check out the show if you haven't already and have 20 or so minutes to spare. The website also has links to a large number of other TV shows that are available online... I'm afraid to peruse the site too closely for fear that I'll get sucked in and come to consciousness days from now with a haze of TV catch-phrases as the only recollection of how I spent my time.

No comments: