Saturday, July 21, 2007

sewing with die hard and hell's kitchen

My [mom's] sewing machine isn't working (a problem with the bobbin, as far as I can tell), and I'm at a loss for what to do right now. I think I'll probably opt for going to bed early, but at the moment I'm quite intrigued by Die Hard 2. I turned the TV on a couple of hours ago because it gives me something to listen to while sewing (though, now I'm thinking that maybe I should try books on tape instead...). I just watched the scene where McLane's wife calls him on the airplane phone and they have an entertaining little discussion about the advances in 90's technology (i.e. fax machines and air phones), and of course there's the obligatory "This is the 90's!" sentence. It's also a bit of a time-capsule with respect to airport security (i.e. the old lady sitting next to his wife on the plane is carrying a stun gun -- am I right in recalling/predicting that it will play a pivotal part later in the movie?).

Before Die Hard 2 came on, I was watching Hell's Kitchen -- the reality show with the wanna-be chefs trying to stay on the good side of the cranky restaurant mogul/chef Gordon Ramsay. It can be quite a stressful show to watch, but since I was still sewing at that time, I wasn't paying much attention. One thing I did notice though, was how, whenever anything remotely negative occurred, the overly dramatic narrator (is that even the right word?) would utter such phrases as "after all, this is Hell's Kitchen" or "they don't call this Hell's Kitchen for nothing..." Stupid.

OK, I'm going to see what can be done with the sewing machine now...

No comments: